lunes, 1 de octubre de 2012

Back, but... / De regreso, pero...

Back, but not quite yet... Everything is just where I left it. Even those things I ran away from. The same old white walls, the same piles of books. The same sounds coming in from the busy street below. The same good old closet in my room, packed with clothes and memories. The same three cats. The same broken, bloody country. The same pain. The same affronts, reproduced to the point of nausea. I'm back, but somehow there's a piece of me that was left somewhere in the US. Sitting at a bench beneath a tree in Atlanta, waiting. At a porch in Austin, Chicago or Washington. Running behind a bus in the Mojave Desert. Praying under the Texas night sky. Crossing the Brooklyn Bridge. I do feel the lack of something. Something fell off me and I wouldn't want to admit it's lost. Naivete? Sense of awe? It seems I'll need to go back and fetch it. I do feel I'm not the same, although everything around me strangely still is.


De regreso, pero aún no... Todo esta justo donde lo dejé. Incluso aquello de lo cual huí. Las mismas viejas paredes blancas, las mismas pilas de libros. Los mismos sonidos que suben desde la calle apurada. El mismo y viejo closet en mi cuarto, atascado de ropa y recuerdos. Los tres mismos gatos. El mismo país, roto y ensangrentado. El mismo dolor. Los mismos agravios, replicados hasta la náusea. Estoy de regreso, pero de alguna forma una parte mía se quedó en algún lugar de los EUA. Sentada en una banca, bajo un árbol en Atlanta, esperando. En un porche en Austin, Chicago o Washington. Corriendo tras un camión en el desierto de Mojave. Orando bajo el cielo nocturno de Texas. Cruzando el puente de Brooklyn. Siento la falta de algo. Algo se me cayó y no quisiera darlo por perdido. ¿La ingenuidad? ¿La capacidad de asombro? Parece que tendré que regresar para traerlo. Siento no ser la misma, aunque todo a mi alrededor, extrañamente, todavía sea igual.

No hay comentarios: